Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Mary: My Song

 

And Mary said,

"My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit

rejoices in God my Savior..."

Luke 1:46-47 

When Elizabeth finished her greeting to Mary, Mary burst into song. 

This is how it reads from The Message: 

I'm bursting with God news,

I'm dancing the song of my Savior God.

God took one look at me, and look what happened -

I'm the most fortunate woman on earth!

What God has done for me will never be forgotten,

the God whose very name is holy,

set apart from all others.

His mercy flows in wave after wave,

on those who are in awe before Him.

He bared his arm and showed His strength,

scattered the bluffing braggarts.

He knocked tyrants off their high horses,

pulled victims out of the mud.

The starving poor sat down to a banquet;

the callous rich were left out in the cold.

He embraced His chosen child, Israel;

He remembered and piled on the mercies,

piled them high.

It's exactly what He promised

beginning with Abraham and right up to now.

Luke 1:46-55.

*

Hail to the Lord’s Anointed, great David’s greater Son.

Hail in the time appointed, His reign on earth begun.

He comes to break oppression, to set the captive free,

To take away transgression, and rule in equity.

The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 203

No comments:

Post a Comment