Thursday, October 1, 2020

A Disciplined Life

A Disciplined Life

The road to life is a disciplined life;

ignore correction and you're lost for good.

Proverbs 10:17

I have an acquaintance who has never grown up.  He is in his fifties now, but still has to be the center of attention, still finds bathroom and sexual humor very amusing, still relishes turning one friend against another, still throws temper tantrums, and still believes he is the fountain of all knowledge on every subject and thus always right.  It is exhausting to be around him.  It is also embarrassing to be around him, as he inevitably thrives on embarrassing others, and never seems to manage to embarrass himself.  I find that the safest route is to be around him as little as possible.

Discipline is an interesting word.  Webster's #2 definition is:  training that develops self-control, character, orderliness and efficiency.  Sometimes, however, discipline is something that people want to hand out to others, but rarely accept or utilize themselves.  I like the idea of discipline as training - training me to be like Christ in character as well as in control of my emotions and reactions, enabling me to live a life that draws people to Christ rather than to me.    

* 

This is the day, this is the day that the Lord has made,

That the Lord has made,

I will rejoice, I will rejoice and be glad in it,

And be glad in it.

This is the day that the Lord has made,

I will rejoice and be glad in it.

This is the day, this is the day that the Lord has made.

The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 657

No comments:

Post a Comment