Saturday, October 3, 2020

Good Direction

Good Direction 

Without good direction, people lose their way.

The more wise counsel you follow, the better your chances.

Proverbs 11:14 

I have never had a good sense of direction.  My father used to say that I "couldn't find my way out of a wet paper sack."   Add that to my natural temerity and you have a person who hides from any great, adventurous change of routine.  There are times, however, when one just has to take the bull by the horns.

Several years ago, my main goal for my visit to New York City was to see the New York Botanical Gardens located in the Bronx.  After my previous fiasco of taking a taxi to the Bronx Zoo (a story for another day), I knew I was going to have to conquer my fears and my directionless self and figure out how to get there on public transportation.  A quick internet search gave me the particulars:  Take the 6 subway down to Grand Central Station, then take the Metro North Harlem local train directly to the entrance of the gardens.  Simple, right?

I made it onto the 6 and off at Grand Central.  Oh my!  I stared at multiple subways, 100 train tracks, a HUGE historic building, and seemingly endless classy little boutiques.  I finally found the ticket counter.  The clerk slapped down the ticket, pointed to Gate 29 directly across from him and yelled, "...it's leaving NOW."  I scampered across the hall, ran through the gate, and hopped on the train just before it began to move out from the station.  The stations were clearly marked, and the gardens were easy to find after exiting the train.  I spent the next few hours in photography bliss.

At the end of my visit, I finally located the correct subway going in the right direction, plopped into my seat and grinned to no one in particular and everyone in general.  I had done it!  I had managed to travel on conveyances previously unknown to me, get where I wanted to go, and then return safely to hearth and home.  I sent up a prayer to my constant traveling Companion, thanking Him for watching over me.

* 

Anywhere with Jesus I can safely go,

Anywhere He leads me in this world below.

Anywhere without Him, dearest joys would fade.

Anywhere with Jesus I am not afraid.

Anywhere, anywhere, fear I cannot know.

Anywhere with Jesus I can safely go.

Hymns for the Family of God, No. 594

 

No comments:

Post a Comment