Monday, October 5, 2020

An Expensive Lesson

An Expensive Lesson

There is a way that seems right to a man,

but its end is the way of death. 

Proverbs 14:12 

Each year when I visit my daughter and her husband in New York,  I make a list of things that I want to do in the few short days I am there.  One year, my goal was the Bronx Zoo.  At the time, my daughter was living in Spanish Harlem and worked across the street from Central Park.  Although I was very comfortable using the subway system in Manhattan, venturing beyond that was another matter.  Standing on the street corner outside my daughter’s office, I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to take a taxi.

The taxi driver didn’t blink an eye when I told him my destination.  He certainly never mentioned that he had no idea precisely where the zoo was.  He roared off into traffic, which was unusually congested that morning.  It became evident that there was a problem when he pulled out a guide to New York that anyone could purchase in a souvenir shop, thumbing through it while he drove, trying to figure out where he was going.  I will not go into the specifics of the drive, the mounting frustration of my driver, nor the new curse words I learned on the journey.  I will tell you that my tab upon arrival was $87.00

My camera and I had a wonderful time at the zoo.  When it was time to leave, the policeman standing at the exit gate was kind enough to walk me to the subway, laughing the entire way as I regaled him with the details of how I got there.  The return subway ride to Manhattan cost me $3.00.

I cannot tell you the number of times in my life when a still, small voice tried to steer me in a different direction, but I would not listen.  Like my hapless cab driver, I was positive I knew the way to my objective.  It has taken me long than it should to imprint this in my brain:  the only sure Guide we have is our Savior, Jesus Christ.

*

Lead me, Lord – lead me in Thy righteousness,

Make Thy way plain before my face.

For it is Thou, Lord – Thou, Lord only,

That makest me dwell in safety.

The United Methodist Hymnal,No. 473

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment