Thursday, October 22, 2020

Sky!

 

God spoke:

Sky!

"In the middle of the waters; separate water from water!"

He separated the water under the sky from the water

above the sky.  And there it was;

He named sky the heavens;

It was evening - it was morning -

Day Two.

Genesis 1:6-8

If I were to name my favorite part of this world in which I live, it would have to be the sky.  First of all, it is blue - most of the time!!  The sky holds the clouds, the sun, the moon, the stars.  The sky is the aerodrome for the birds.  It is beautiful on a sunny day and can be terrifying during a storm.  I do not like to fly in the sky, but I do love to look at it.

On the second day of creation, God parted the waters from the sky, creating two landscapes on which to paint with His creative brush.  From the sky would later emerge the sun, moon, planets, stars and the vast expanse of galaxies near and far.  From the water would spring the land that would house the plants and animals to come.

God has to have something of the dramatic in Him, because He chose to speak everything into being (Psalm 33:9)].  I appreciate that God took His time – calling out one basic element, then standing back to admire His work and plan His next step.  When Day Three arrived, the pace would definitely accelerate.    

* 

When morning gilds the skies, my heart awaking cries:

May Jesus Christ be praised!

Alike at work and prayer, to Jesus I repair.

May Jesus Christ be praised!

The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 185 

No comments:

Post a Comment