Tuesday, April 28, 2020

A Time to Kill



A Time to Kill

For everything there is a season,
and a time for every purpose under heaven.
A time to kill, and a time to heal,
a time to tear down, and a time to build.
Ecclesiastes 3:1,6

I used to live with two female cats - George and Sapphire.  George was a very large white lap cat.  Sapphire, on the other hand, was a small black and white cat -  wiry, curious, and determined.  She discovered that a couple of the doors in the house would open if she put her paw under the door and lifted upwards.  A closed door to Sapphire was nothing more than a challenge to see how long it would take before she could get into the space and discover what she was missing out on.

Sapphire became a closer companion when George moved on to another family.  She loved boxes, and had “box beds” all over the house, using whichever one was her favorite for any given day.  She was never a cuddle-bug, but poured out affection in her own way, on her own terms.  She was always there when I finally sailed through the door at the end of the work day, waiting and watching for me.

The day finally came, however, as it does with all pets, when Sapphire began to show her age, and her physical weaknesses became more prominent.  I clearly remember the evening when I came in from work to find her in one of her boxes, weak and glassy-eyed.  I took her to bed with me, box and all, and watched over her during the night.  In the early morning, the vet confirmed my layman’s diagnosis:  her organs were failing and there was no medical remedy that would cure her.  It was time to let her go and put her to sleep.

There is coming a day, for ourselves and our furry friends, when death will be no more.
“Then the saying that is written will come true:  Death has been swallowed up in victory.  Where, O death, is your victory?  Where, O death, is your sting?”  [1 Corinthians 15:54-55]  

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

*

Precious Lord, take my hand, lead me on, let me stand,
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn.
Through the storm, through the night, lead me on to the light.
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 474


No comments:

Post a Comment