Wednesday, April 1, 2020

This is My Father's World



This is My Father's World

These things I have spoken to you, that in Me
you might have peace.  In the world you will have
tribulation, but be of good cheer.
I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

The Berkshires Botanical Garden is located in Stockbridge, MA - and is open from May 1 to Columbus Day.  For some reason, I thought Columbus Day was in February, and the gardens would be open during my November stay in the area.  Unfortunately, that holiday is in October, and the gardens were long-since closed.

Blissfully unaware, I boarded the local bus for the 1.9 mile drive to the Garden.  The bus driver didn't even blink when I asked to be let off at that stop, nor did he mention that the facility was not open.  Perhaps that was due to the fact that Berkshire Botanical is a very open place, and the only thing keeping people out were the locks on the buildings and greenhouses.  One could wander the acreage any time of year - even in the freezing cold of a late November afternoon.

It was amazing what I could find to photograph, even in a garden filled with death:  golden hydrangea flowers now dried to perfection; bright green moss on fallen logs nestled in piles of brown leaves; stately evergreens and tall Christmas trees; small clumps of red berries that were not completely frozen yet; and tall, feathery carcasses of seed pods long empty.  Within God's creation, there is beauty in every season - even when much of what surrounds us appears lifeless.

The television news, online reports and commentary, newspapers and every other imaginable source  has one current theme:  sickness and death.  It can be depressing and absolutely overwhelming to listen to during our daily hours of sheltering in place.  Rather than a beautiful garden, this world seems rather to be spinning our of control.  In these circumstances, it is easy to forget that This is my Father's world.  God hasn't gone on vacation; He is not too busy, too indifferent, or too preoccupied with greater matters.  It's not the "wrong season."  God is, through the power of the Holy Spirit, right beside you - listening, loving, comforting.  Remember:  Although the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet.  
*

This is my Father's world.
O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world.
Why should my heart be sad.
The Lord is King,
Let the heavens ring!
God reigns - let the earth be glad.
(The United Methodist Hymnal No. 144, vs. 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment