Thursday, April 23, 2020

Caught Napping



Caught Napping

At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like
ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 
Five of them were foolish, and five were wise.
The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them.
The wise, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps.
The bridegroom was a long time in coming
and they all became drowsy and fell asleep.
Matthew 25:1-5

In the late 80’s, I was the organist at a wonderful Disciples of Christ church in Phoenix, and very pregnant with my third child.  The pastor surprised me one Sunday morning with a recliner that he had procured from somewhere and placed behind the organ so that I could sit comfortably during the sermon.  I was thrilled.

All went well until one morning when, at the end of his sermon, the preacher announced the closing hymn and invited the congregation to stand, awaiting the introduction from the organ.  No music was forthcoming.  He cleared his throat, gave the congregation a big smile, and announced the hymn again, but this time double the volume.  Silence. Walking across the platform, he stepped behind the instrument, only to find that his organist was still ensconced in her comfy recliner, fast asleep.  It’s a wonder I wasn’t snoring!   

Jesus told the parable of the ten virgins during a private conversation with His disciples. He knew that the days and years ahead wouldn’t always be easy for them, or for us for that matter, and He wanted to be sure that they and we remembered one of His most precious promises:   In my Father’s house are many rooms;  if it were  not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, 
I will come back, and take you to be with Me.

He IS coming again!  Let’s be sure we aren’t caught napping…

*

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll.
The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend;
Even so, it is well with my soul.
It is well; it is well;
It is well, it is well with my soul.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 377

No comments:

Post a Comment