Saturday, April 4, 2020

God is My Rock


God is My Rock

May the words of my mouth and the
medication of my heart be pleasing in Your sight,
O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
Psalm 19:14

The picture of God as our Rock originates in Exodus 17, when the children of Israel were wandering in the desert wilderness at Rephidim, and discovered there was no water to drink.  The people began to complain, again, accusing Moses of bring them into the boonies where there were going to die of thirst.

Moses takes the problem to God, and He commands him to go to the rock at Horeb.  God said that he would meet Moses at that rock, and "stand beside you."  When all were assembled, the Lord directed Moses to strike the rock with his rod.  Moses did as instructed, and abundant water flowed forth for all the people.  

God is still our Rock today as surely as He was to ancient Israel.  We can turn to Him at any time to draw on His strength and courage.  He has promised to "stand beside you" in good times and in difficult circumstances.  We may not be in need of physical water today, but we are all in need of the water of life - the Holy Spirit's presence in our daily lives.  

*

His name is Wonderful, His name is Wonderful,
His name is Wonderful, Jesus, my Lord.
He is the mighty King, Master of everything,
His name is Wonderful, Jesus, my Lord.
He's the great Shepherd, the Rock of all ages,
Almighty God is He.
Bow down before Him, love and adore Him,
His name is Wonderful, Jesus, my Lord.
(The United Methodist Hymnal No. 174)

No comments:

Post a Comment