Friday, September 11, 2020

Five Smooth Stones

Five Smooth Stones

Then David took his shepherd's staff, selected five smooth

stones from the brook, and put them in the pocket of his

shepherd's pack, and with his sling in his hand approached Goliath.

1 Samuel 17:40

Children love the story of David and Goliath - the classic tale of the underdog overcoming his huge opponent.  The story is one of my favorites as well, but to be bluntly honest, I have always quietly wondered about those stones.  Who of us has not reached down to pick up a smooth stone to skip across a creek or pond.  For that purpose, we are searching for flat stones.  I have always imagined that David was searching for rounded rocks - something with at least a little heft.  I know that God was with him, giving him courage, guiding his aim, but I've still always wondered about those stones.

Several years ago, I had the privilege to see the Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibit at the Disney Pavilion in New York City.  I was delighted to discover that, besides the Scroll fragments, the exhibit also displayed a number of biblical artifacts from the many on-going excavations in ancient biblical lands.  As we moved through the various displays, we came to a framed exhibit on the wall of 10-12 surprisingly similar rounded rocks about the size of a modern-day hardball baseball.  A huge grin spread across my face as I read the title of the exhibit.  Slingshot stones!  Gazing at those rocks, it was instantly clear that any one of them, thrown with the velocity of a shepherd boy's iron-muscled arm, would indeed cause a man’s collapse.

I am a firm believer in the veracity of the Bible - all stories included - but that doesn't mean that I never have any questions.  Too often, we use modern standards from our own culture to judge the truth of biblical stories.  Jesus commended those who believe without seeing.  I, for one, am grateful that occasionally He gives us glimpses of our own doubt along with the truth we have been unable to see.

*

Little David play on your harp

Hallelu, hallelu,

Little David play on your harp, hallelu.

Little David was a shepherd boy

He killed Goliath and shouted for joy.

Little David play on your harp

Hallelu, hallelu,

Little David play on your harp, hallelu

African American Spiritual

 

No comments:

Post a Comment