Wednesday, September 9, 2020

In My Heart There Rings a Melody


Manuscript for J.S. Bach's St. Matthew Passion
(Imagine trying to sing from this!)

In My Heart There Rings a Melody

Dear friends, do you think you'll get anywhere in this if
you learn all the right words but never do anything?  Does
merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it?
James 2:14

Johann Sebastian Bach was born in Eisenach, Germany in 1685 as the eighth child in a large Lutheran family.  His father was a court trumpeter and the director of the town musicians.  He taught his young son violin and harpsichord, while an uncle introduced him to the organ.  When he was nine years old, his mother died, and his father passed away 8 months later when he was ten.  He moved into the home of his older brother Johann Christoph, who taught him the clavichord and nurtured his musical education.  Eventually Johann Sebastian went into the family "business" - being the organist for a Lutheran church.  Bach was known and acknowledged as a devout Christian - one who lived within the social and religious boundaries of his time.  His gorgeous musical creations are deeply rooted in the faith of the old Lutheran Church - a vital combination of his Protestant belief and his outstanding musical talent.

Since the age of fourteen, I have worked as the music director/organist for various Christian churches, enabling me to combine my faith relationship with God and my God-given musical gifts.  I do not have Bach's genius, but it has always been a source of great joy for me to prepare musicians to share their musical offerings with the congregation each week.  - giving back a small portion of what we have been given.

Anything in life that is stagnant eventually spoils.  Faith is no exception.  Combine your faith with your gifts and abilities and give to the Lord your praise.

*

I have a song that Jesus gave me,
It was sent from heaven above.
There never was a sweeter melody,
‘Tis the melody of love.
In my heart there rings a melody,
There rings a melody with heaven’s harmony.
In my heart there rings a melody,
There rings a melody of love.
Hymns of the Family of God No. 633


No comments:

Post a Comment