Friday, September 18, 2020

Hey Now!

Hey Now!

A nagging spouse is like the drip, drip, drip of a

leaky faucet.  You can't turn it off, and you can't get away from it!

Proverbs 27:15 

A couple of years ago, I went to a local mulch company to get a load of topsoil/compost mix. There were several trucks already clustered around the little office building, and two more turned in just as I was parking.  The tiny counter was already crowded with men, and there were a couple of good ole boys sitting in the window.  I slipped in the door and took a position in the corner behind the doorway. 

One of the men behind the counter was on the phone, talking very loudly, and obviously speaking with his wife.  Apparently the refrigerator had finally quit working, and she had called to give her husband an ear full.  The entire office was involved in the return conversation, with men offering various tips or quips for him to relay to his wife, and a couple of guys poked their heads out of the back room to add their two cents.  Finally the wife had heard enough and the call was terminated.  Plunking down the phone, the fellow loudly pronounced to his male audience, "I tell you what!  You can't tell a woman a *#@! thing!" Raising my voice to be heard above the snickers and growing laughter, I called out "Hey, Now!" 

The sound of a woman's voice shot the gentleman straight up off his chair, just as the men parted like the Red Sea so that he could see me standing there in the corner.  Flushing a bright red, he said, "Well, good afternoon, m'am!  Now what can we get for you today?"  All of the men backed away from the counter, and suddenly I was the most important person in the office as my order was noted, my money was taken, and my little female self was hustled out the door to go get my dirt.  I laughed all the way to the truck.

You don't have to be a husband or wife to be a nag: children, co-workers, and relatives of every stripe can be constant complainers.  Curiously, King Solomon, often tagged as the wisest man who ever lived, failed to provide any solutions for the problem.  He just states the simple fact:  a nagging spouse will drive you nuts!  

*

I love You, Lord, and I lift my voice

To worship You, O my soul, rejoice!

Take joy, my King, in what you hear,

May it be a sweet, sweet song in Your ear.

The Faith We Sing, No. 2068

No comments:

Post a Comment