Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Worried?


Worried?

God is greater than our worried hearts and
knows more about us than we do ourselves.
1 John 3:20

Three weeks ago, I made the decision to fully retire from the job that I have held for the last 18.75 years.  I did so knowing that it was the right choice at the right time, but I was still very concerned (notice that I did not use the term “worried”) as to whether or not my finances were up to the challenge.  My three children were very much a part of the decision-making process, and assured me that everything was going to be OK.  But I would not be less than truthful if I did not admit that I am anxious, concerned, unsettled, uneasy, nervous – yes, WORRIED about what the unknown that is the future will hold for me.

Note in the above scripture that  John does not say, "Oh, for Pete's sake, don't worry!"  No, he says, "God is greater than our worried hearts."  The Apostle acknowledges that we are going to worry - even when we try not to.  He draws our attention, however, to the One who is so much greater than our concerns, who knows our troubles better than we do, who offers strength and wisdom for the journey, and who will walk hand in hand with us through every day of our lives.

*

I don’t know about tomorrow,
I just live from day to day.
I don’t borrow from its sunshine,
For the skies may turn to grey.
I don’t worry o’er the future,
For I know what Jesus said.
And today I’ll walk beside Him,
For He knows what lies ahead.
Many things about tomorrow
I don’t seem to understand.
But I know who hold tomorrow,
And I know who holds my hand.
Hymns for the Family of God, No. 96

No comments:

Post a Comment