Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Play Ball!

Play Ball! 

Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health

and that all may go well with you, even as your

soul is getting along well.

3 John 2

The author of the letters of 1st, 2nd & 3rd John is the Apostle John, who also wrote the Gospel of John and the book of Revelation.  He is a first cousin of Jesus, a fisherman, and one of Jesus’ inner circle.  At the beginning of this third letter, addressed to his good friend Gaius, John states his hope that Gaius’ physical health was equal to his spiritual strength.  There is a profound connection between mind, body and soul.  If one is neglected, the other two pay a price. 

We humans have an amazing ability to talk ourselves out of almost anything, including really important areas of personal growth.  When I wake up in the morning, I know that I need to hop out of bed and on to my elliptical machine, but the bed is so warm and my excuses for not going flow so easily.  However, even the polar bear at the Bronx Zoo knows that if he doesn't get out there and play, he’s not going to feel so hot.  At my last visit to the zoo, I watched this fellow play with his ball for quite a while.  He amused himself, he got some good exercise, and he extended his lifeline just a little bit longer.   If a polar bear knows enough to take care of his mind and body, it ought to be a piece of cake for me.    

*

All creatures of my God and King

Lift up your voice and with us sing

O praise ye!  Alleluia!

Ye who long pain and sorrow bear

Praise God and on Him cast your care.

O praise ye! O praise ye!

Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 62

No comments:

Post a Comment