Thursday, August 19, 2021

FAITH: Sarah

Then the Lord said to Abraham,

Why did Sarah laugh and say, “Will I really have a child now that I am old?”

Is anything too hard for the Lord?

Genesis 18:13-14a

This story is, in my opinion, the brightest revelation of God’s sense of humor in all of Scripture.  The LORD comes down to talk to Abraham, Sarah is eavesdropping at the door of their tent, God says that Abraham will have a \son with Sarah, and she, perhaps looking at her reflection in the tent mirror, laughs at the very thought of giving birth at the age of 90+. “Now that I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?”

God asks Abraham why Sarah laughed.  I have no idea why the Almighty addressed Abraham instead of Sarah.  Never being afraid to speak her mind and knowing exactly Who Abraham was talking to, Sarah backpedals into a lie: “I didn’t laugh!”  And God [picture Him with a grin on His face] fires back, O yes, you did!”

Nine months later, when their son is born, the parents give the child the name Isaac – which means he laughs.  Who gave them that name for their son?  God did, of course!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment