Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Facing Our Fears


Facing Our Fears

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you
with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

For an individual like me who has been fearful practically from birth, the idea that I do not need to fear at any given time is a pretty tall order.  If my mother were here today, she would say, "Sherrie, you're fearful because you don't have enough faith!"  Over the years, I have come to the realization that my fears are often based on a perceived lack of control, and a difficulty in trusting that God will do exactly what is best for me (even if I don't think so).

I've thought a lot about this text from Isaiah during the last few weeks,  The opening words are not a statement, but a command, with the subject understood:

(YOU) do not fear

After the opening phrase, I took a look at what this text does NOT say:
  • I, God, will make this go away
  • I, God, will protect you from any bad things happening to you
  • I, God, will make sure you keep your job (your house, your spouse, your health)
And what this text does say:
  • I, God, am not only God, I am YOUR God
  • I, God, will strengthen you - whatever the circumstances
  • I, God, will help you - whatever the problems
  • I, God, will hold you in My hand.  
  • I, God, will be there.

Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild.
Still I can trust Him, I know He will keep me.
He has redeemed me and I am His child.
Under His wings, under His wings,
Who from His love can sever?
Under His wings my soul shall abide.
Safely abide forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment