Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Just Ask...


Just Ask...

And Jesus, when He was baptized, went up straightway out of the water,
and lo, the heavens opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending
like a dove, and lighting upon Him.
-Matthew 3:16-17

The scene of Jesus at the Jordan River occurred at the very beginning of His ministry, just prior to the 40-day fast in the wilderness where He met Satan mano-a-mano.  Nothing about Jesus' life here on earth would ever be easy.  Scorn and rejection would be a daily diet.  Friends were few and flighty.  Earthly support system?   Hmmm... not so much.  How in the world would He face the pressure of His daily mission?

Our text provides the answer.  As Jesus rose from the waters of the Jordan River, the Holy Spirit descended "as a dove" and rested on His shoulder.  Then a voice out of the highest heaven exclaimed, "This is My Son, and I am very pleased with Him."

One of my favorite texts in Scripture is from the book of Luke, Chapter 11, verses 9-13.  I am going to quote the entire passage here, because it is a wonderful promise to you, and to me, of the same Gift that Jesus received.

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;
Knock, and the door will be opened to you.
For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks, finds;
And to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish,
Will give him a snake instead?
Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion?
If you then, though you are evil, 
Know how to give good gifts to your children,
How much more will your Father in heaven
Give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him.

If you need the strength, hope, and power of the Holy Spirit today - just ask.

^

Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me.
Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 393





No comments:

Post a Comment