Monday, March 30, 2020

Trusting in Him


Trusting in Him

Blessed are all they that put their trust in Him.
Psalm 2:12

Trust (trust) n. [MEtraust]
1.        Firm belief or confidence in the honesty,
Integrity, reliability, justice, etc., of another person
Or thing; faith, reliance on the person or thing trusted.

Trust.  Quite honestly, not my strong suit.  I am far more acquainted with skepticism and uncertainty than with any level of trust.  Which begs the question:  If I don’t trust most humans, whom I can both see and hear, how in the world do I trust in God, whom I cannot.

I believe that part of the answer lies in intimacy.  Many people are “there for you” when “being there” means shopping, eating, gossiping, skiing, seeing the newest movie, watching football, or gathering for a backyard barbecue - anything that is light, fresh and fun, with the lowest level of emotional commitment.  It is the rare friend that is willing to “be there” when you are overburdened, exhausted and depressed; the one who is willing to just quietly sit and listen without reservation, opinion or judgment.  

When we turn to Him, God comes in the still small voice, whispering peace amidst the hustle and bustle, breathing comfort, covering us with a love infused with patience and understanding.  He longs to have us call on Him in any and every situation, trusting that He will listen, He will comfort, and He will hold us in the palm of His hand.

*

 Through it all, through it all,
I’ve learned to trust in Jesus,
I’ve learned to trust in God.
Through it all, through it all,
I’ve learned to depend upon His Word.
(United Methodist Hymnal #507)

No comments:

Post a Comment