Monday, May 11, 2020

Adopted



Adopted 

But when the time had fully come, God sent His Son,
born of a woman, born under the law,
to redeem those under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts,
the Spirit who calls out, Abba, Father.
Galatians 4:4-6

I was born in the spring of 1948 at the Eva M. Harris Maternity & Rest Home in Phoenix, Arizona.  The rates at the home were $3.50 per day, no extra for the baby.  Two days later, I was adopted by a young couple and taken home with them.  From my earliest remembrances, I have known that I was adopted.  When I was older and began to quetsion my origins, I found my mother reluctant to talk about my birth parents.  My father finally gave me a little yellowed newspaper clipping of the legal filing for my adoption, which included the surnames of my birth parents:    Ross (mother), and Corbett (father). 

Although the Ross/Corbett family gave me life, the Poulson family gave me a home. Adopted as the third child of the family, Mom and Dad doted on my brothers and me.  Pets, bicycles, books galore and endless music lessons – all became an integral part of the household.   We grew up safe in the circle of our parents’ arms, each of us from a different bloodline, but all of us claimed as sons and daughters.

The Apostle John says, How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God.  And that is what we are!  [1 John 3:1]    Neither my adoptive parents nor my birth parents are alive today, but my heavenly Father is always present, always listening, always loving.  I am a cherished member of His family: His child, and forever, I am.

*
  
Lord, listen to your children praying.
Lord, send Your Spirit in this place.
Lord, listen to Your children praying –
Send us love, send us power, send us grace.
The Faith We Sing, No. 2193

No comments:

Post a Comment