Sunday, May 10, 2020

The Singing Cyclist



The Singing Cyclist

Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord.
Ephesians 5:19

I was sitting on my front porch the other day, drinking in the sunshine of a gorgeous spring afternoon.  The birds and I seemed to be the only creatures on this corner of the planet, and I was enjoying the warmth and the breeze, when I heard from afar the sound of someone singing.  At least I thought it was singing.  It was neither tuneful nor in tune, but it sounded like a man's voice.

Moments later, into my field of vision rode a 30-somethings fellow on a bicycle.  He was rolling along at a good rate of speed, and singing for all he was worth.  I could see his white ear-buds, which were pumping into his brain his favorite music.  It was clear that he had absolutely no idea how loudly he was singing.  It was equally clear that he couldn’t care less.  He was away from his house and the never-ending anxiety of the pandemic.   He was on the stage of a packed arena with his best-loved band, and he was lead singer right in the big middle of it all.  I felt like I should stand and applaud.

Music has the ability to calm the soul and lift the spirit.  Psalms, hymns and spiritual songs bring to our minds the promises of God, the assurance of His love, and the knowledge that we are never alone.

*

Come, Christians, join to sing, Alleluia! Amen!
Loud praise to Christ our King.  Alleluia! Amen!
Let all with heart and voice before His throne rejoice.
Praise is His gracious choice.  Alleluia!  Amen!

Come, lift your hearts on high.  Alleluia!  Amen!
Let praises fill the sky.  Alleluia!  Amen!
He is our guide and friend.  To us He’ll condescend.
His love shall never end.  Alleluia!  Amen!
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 158


No comments:

Post a Comment