Monday, May 25, 2020

It's a Secret!



It’s a Secret!

Do not trust in a friend; do not put your confidence in a companion,
guard the doors of your mouth from her who lies in your bosom.
For son dishonors father, daughter rises against her mother,
daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
a man’s enemies are the men of his own household.
Therefore I will look to the Lord;
I will wait for the God of my salvation;
My God will hear me.
Micah 7:5-7


How many times has someone said to you, “WOW!  Do I need to talk to you – but you have to promise that you won’t tell a soul!”   I have both said this, and had it said to me.  It has also caused me anxiety, whether I am the teller or the recipient.  If I am on the receiving end, how many other people have been confided in with the same dire message?  If the facts leak out, will my friend automatically think it was me, or vice versa?  Secrecy is a fascinating thing – so often requested, so rarely given.

Micah advises us to, "Guard the doors of your mouth."  If there is something in my life that really needs to remain unknown, I need to keep my mouth shut and my heart and mind directed to heaven.  There is One who will quietly listen and never betray my trust. I can tell Him all the juicy details, then rest in the knowledge that His heart of love is open, but His lips are sealed.

*

I know not why God’s wondrous grace to me He hath made known,
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love redeemed me for His own.
But I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed unto Him against that day.

I know not how this saving faith to me He did impart,
Nor how believing in His word wrought peace within my heart.
But I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I’ve committed unto Him against that day.
The United Methodist Hymnal No. 714

No comments:

Post a Comment