Sunday, May 24, 2020

In the Garden

Blackberry Punch Superbell

In the Garden

For as the earth brings forth its bud,
and the gardener causes the things that are sown in it to spring forth,
so the Lord God will cause righteousness and praise
to spring forth before all the nations.
Isaiah 61:11

I really enjoy visiting plant nurseries and finding new flowering plants; or better yet, finding old favorites in new colors.  Last summer, I visited Sneed’s Nursery to see if I could find any Superbell plants (resembling a miniature petunia).  Sure enough, they had several new hues, including this beauty, the Blackberry Punch Superbell.  Suffice it to say that several of them found a home in my containers.

This spring, my baby pink/scarlet peonies were abundant and beautiful.  When I shared a blossom with my friend Louise, she asked if I would be interested in receiving a white peony plant.  My enthusiastic agreement led to the arrival of two new plants on my front porch.  I can’t wait to plant them this weekend.

Just as I love and care for my garden, nurturing my plants and coaxing them to full bloom, so the Lord loves His people – the human race that He created.  He tends and nurtures us, watering us with the strengthening power of the Holy Spirit, and focuses on us the powerful sunlight of His love and blessings.  We, in turn, sing forth His praise to everyone around us, witnessing to the joy of being a part of His garden. 

*

I come to the garden along while the dew is still on the roses,
And the voice I hear falling on my ear, the Son of God discloses.
And He walks with me and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own.
And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice is so sweet, the birds hush their singing.
And the melody that He gave to me within my heart is ringing.
And He walks with me and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own.
And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 314


 Shirley Temple Peony



No comments:

Post a Comment