Friday, May 15, 2020

There is a Way



There is a Way

There is a way which seems right to a man,
but the end is the way of death.
Proverbs 14:12

I have an unusual amount of food allergies and intolerances – far more than any one person should have!  Gluten, dairy, citrus, chocolate, blueberries, watermelon…  the list goes on and on.  Eating any of these items will produce severe pain and gastrointestinal havoc.  So I would never eat them, right?

Ah, but that is not the way the human mind works.  When I really, really want something, I can justify it in an amazing variety of ways.  I don’t know how many times I have eaten a croissant (my special weakness at Penn Station in NYC), or ice cream, or chocolate, or pizza, and told myself that this time it won't bother me.  I don’t think I ever really believe that lie.  I'm tired of never having anything to eat.  I want the food, it is within reach, so I eat it.  The inevitable consequence is a day of feeling like I’ve been run over by a truck.  In the midst of the suffering, I always promise myself that I will never do it again.

Why would I indulge in approximately two minutes of chewing and swallowing when I know the hours of pure misery that will follow?  Why do we lie when the truth would be so much safer?  Why does a person drink and then get behind the wheel of a car?   Why does someone cheat when the consequences would be devastating? 

We do it because we listen to the siren song: “It’s ok…  No one will know...  No one will care…  It doesn’t matter just this once…  Don’t think, just DO!"   The only thing that gives me  the strength to walk away is turning to the One who is standing right beside me. 

*

Guide my feet while I run this race.  Guide my feet while I run this race.
Guide my feet while I run this race, for I don’t want to run this race in vain.

Stand by me while I run this race…

Hold my hand while I run this race…

I’m your child while I run this race…
The Faith We Sing, No. 2208

No comments:

Post a Comment