Tuesday, May 12, 2020

What's In a Name?



What’s in a Name?

You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God,
for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses His name.
Exodus 20:7


When the Christmas gift catalogs begin to collect in my mailbox, I'm always on the lookout for one of my favorites – Harry & David’s.  During the holiday season, one of their star sellers is the Candy Cane Amaryllis plant (shown above).   Last year, I went to the Great Big Greenhouse in town to see if I could get the Candy Cane Amaryllis without paying the shipping through the catalog.  I was surprised to discover that an Amaryllis is a bulb from South Africa with only one species (Amaryllis belladonna which is pink). The plant I wanted, a Hippeastrum, is from Central and South America with 90 species, and these are the flowers sold around the world at Christmas.

I understand that the name “Hippeastrum” doesn’t exactly have shelf appeal. I’m not even sure how to pronounce it.   “Amaryllis” is much more attractive, and hey – the plant doesn’t know the difference, so who cares, right?  Hmmm… I don’t know; it actually kind of bothers me.  Is this the only common plant that has the wrong name attached, or are there other favorites of mine that aren’t actually what they seem?  Is a daisy a daisy, or is it a mum in disguise?  What about a zinnia?  It just might be a closet dahlia.

Names are a source of our identity.  I am Sherrie.  I am not Susan, Sandra, or Shelly.  It does matter what you call me.  As believers, we take the name of Christ and call ourselves Christians.  To be a Christian is to believe in Christ, follow Christ, and be like Christ.  If we sling the mantle of Christianity over our shoulders and then live our lives for ourselves, the world will eventually get the picture that we aren’t really what we claim.

I want to uphold every day the name of Him who gave His life to ransom mine.

*

Jesus, name above all names
Beautiful Savior, Glorious Lord,
Emmanuel, God is with us,
Blessed Redeemer, Living Word.
The Faith We Sing, No. 2071

No comments:

Post a Comment