Saturday, May 9, 2020

The Knee Cure


The Knee Cure

Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
Matthew 6:27

Wednesday was one of my off-work days, and I had a lot of projects at home that needed my undivided attention.  The morning started off well, but as I listened to the noon news on NPR, I was brought to a standstill by a major case of the “What if’s?”

What if this happened?
What if that didn’t happen?
What if one of my kids…
What if my friends…
What if my job…
What if my finances…
What if my health…

I managed to stew myself into a bit of a whirlwind, asking questions for which there were no answers, about circumstances over which I have no control.  Amidst my self-made storm, I remembered the words of Abraham Lincoln:

I have been driven many times to my knees
by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go.
My own wisdom, and that of all around me,
Seemed insufficient for the day.

Jesus reminded the disciples that worrying never brought them anything that they really needed:  peace, confidence, hope.  What it does bring is fear, anxiety, and higher blood pressure!  When your mind begins to fret about what might (or might not) happen today, drop to your knees and have a little talk with Jesus!

*

I may have doubts and fears, my eye be filled with tears,
But Jesus is a friend who watches day and night.
I go to him in prayer, He knows my every care,
And just a little talk with Jesus makes it right.

Now let us have a little talk with Jesus,
Let us tell Him all about our troubles,
He will hear our faintest cry, 
And he will answer by and by.
So when you feel a little prayer wheel turnin’,
You will know a little fire is burnin’,
You will find a little talk with Jesus makes it right.
-The Oakridge Boys

No comments:

Post a Comment