Sunday, May 31, 2020

Lessons in Mulch



Lessons in Mulch

Holy Father, protect them by the power of Your name,
the name you gave Me, so that they may be one, as we are one.
John 17:11b

When my kids were little, they were used to me taking the old GMC truck to Lowe’s and returning with bags of mulch.  When we moved to Richmond, I discovered JB MULCH, and would come home with a huge mound of the stuff in the backend of the truck.  The kids wondered what in the world I needed all that mulch for?   What was the purpose?  To make the ground pretty? 

The answer was, No, it is not for decoration but for protection.  Mulch enables the soil to hold in nutrients and the precious water that rains down.  It is a protective layer between the roots of the plant and the often overwhelming heat of the summer sun.

In this prayer recorded in John 17, Jesus told His Father that while He was here on earth, He had guided and protected His people.  Now He was following the path to the cross, the resurrection, and His ascension back to heaven.  He prayed for His Father to release the protective layer that would cover His disciples from the moment of His departure until He comes again in glory – the comforting blanket of the Holy Spirit.

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
He will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 
Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives. 
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

*

There’s a sweet, sweet spirit in this place,
And I know that it’s the Spirit of the Lord.
There are sweet expressions on each face,
And I know they feel the presence of the Lord.
Sweet Holy Spirit, sweet heavenly dove,
Stay right here with us, filling us with your love.
And for these blessings we lift our hearts in praise.
Without a doubt we’ll know that we have been revived
When we shall leave this place.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 334



No comments:

Post a Comment