Friday, August 14, 2020

Everything We Need


Everything We Need 

Grace and peace be yours in abundance through the
knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.  His divine
power has given us everything we need for life and godliness.
2 Peter 1:2-3 [NIV]

I don't know about you, but there are days when I wish that I had a magical supplement to take in the morning to insure good health for the day, or a tried and true formula that I simply needed to plug into life's calculator in order to make my day go smoothly.  The fountain of youth, the blarney stone, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, or a win in the latest Powerball lottery - all of these fantasies have such a magnetic pull on us because we believe that any one of these things would solve all our problems and put us on Easy Street. 

The Apostle Peter, on the other hand, makes the astounding statement that God has already given us everything we need for life and godly living.  He was not talking about a life of ease and pleasure, but of praise to God and service to others.  God gives to us the ability to believe. That faith is the core, the very foundation of the Christian life.  It enables us to trust God.  Rather than relieve us of our problems, God chooses to walk us through them, building faith, patience, and a stronger relationship with Him.

*

Through it all, through it all,
I’ve learned to trust in Jesus,
I’ve learned to trust in God.
Through it all, through it all,
I’ve learned to depend upon God’s word.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 507


No comments:

Post a Comment