Monday, August 3, 2020

Go to the Ant


Go to the Ant

Go to the ant, you sluggard.
Consider its ways and be wise.
It has no commander, no overseer or ruler,
Yet it stores its provisions in summer,
And gathers its food at harvest.
Proverbs 6:6-8

I experienced my only up-close-and-personal encounter with ants in Keene, Texas.  My husband was attending a seminar at Southwestern Adventist College, and my children (ages 3,5 & 6) and I were left to our own devices while he was in class.  We were taking in the beautiful fall weather on campus– the girls running around and having a marvelous time.

I noticed that the landscape was dotted with mounds of dirt unlike anything I had seen before.  While I was pondering what in the world they were, my youngest child also noticed them and decided to stomp one down.  She had no more than touched the top of the mound with her shoe, when ants came pouring out and raced up her body.  By the time I reached her, she was covered all the way up to her armpits.

I quickly moved her away and began to strip off her clothes.  She was screaming bloody murder, and I soon found out why.  As I worked to get the ants off of her, they transferred to my hands and arms and began to bite ferociously.  Fortunately, we were not far from our room, and were able to get the ants completely off our skin.  Calamine lotion helped to ease the pain.

All ants are amazing creatures – adept in foraging and building.  When outside their nest, they are always moving – always working.  If you are in the vicinity of fire ants, however, watch and admire from a safe distance!

*

All creatures of our God and King,
Lift up your voice and with us sing,
O praise ye!  Alleluia!
O brother sun with golden beam,
O sister moon with silver gleam,
O praise ye, O praise ye!
Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 62

No comments:

Post a Comment