Saturday, August 8, 2020

Where Are You Going?


Where Are You Going?

In his heart a man plans his course,
But the Lord determines his step.
Proverbs 16:9

I went to a university in Michigan for my freshman and sophomore years of college.
During the summer prior to my junior year, while I was taking classes at Arizona State University, my brother talked me into trying his university in Riverside, California, which was much closer our home in Phoenix.  It was a nice school, but I didn’t really feel like I fit in there, so at the end of the semester, I went back to Michigan.

But Michigan was facing its own problems and challenges in the Music Department, so on a whim (or so I thought at the time), I decided to take my senior year at a college in Northern California, just outside of Napa.  I knew nothing about the school and no one who attended there.  I just went.  And what a wonderful blessing it turned out to be.

The chairman of the Music Department became a mentor in choral conducting, a new direction for me that soon turned into my favorite class.  And in the spring, just before my graduation, the college offered me a fellowship for the following year to get my Master’s degree in vocal performance. 

I was a determined wanderer from school to school until the Lord took the reins and nudged me down a different path.  I am forever grateful.

*

I will follow Thee. my Savior,
Where-so-e’er my lot may be.
Where Thou goest, I will follow,
Yes, my Lord, I’ll follow Thee.
I will follow Thee, my Savior,
Thou didst shed Thy blood for me.
And though all men should forsake Thee,
By Thy grace I’ll follow Thee.
Seventh-day Adventist Hymnal, No. 623


No comments:

Post a Comment