Monday, August 31, 2020

Without Saying a Word


Without Saying a Word

So, my dear children, don't let anyone divert you from
the truth.  It's the person who acts right who is right...
1 John 3:7

Several years ago, I walked into my office from another part of the church, only to discover a small plastic baggie sitting in the middle of my desk, filled with grapes and strawberries.  It had not been a particularly cheerful day, and I was not exactly feeling chipper, but the sight of that little gift put a huge smile on my face.

 There was no need to wonder who had dropped off the fruit - I knew immediately who had visited my small corner of the world.  The giver was well known to the entire staff, because we were all recipients of these little treasures that appeared out of nowhere.  There was never any fanfare or hoopla - no taking of credit for the giving - just a heart full of love that loved to share and care.  She tried her best to work behind the scenes – testifying to her faith and love for Christ in a hundred ways without saying a word.

St. Francis of Assisi is credited with saying:
Preach the Gospel at all times,
and if necessary, use words.

*

O Master, let me walk with Thee
In lowly paths of service free.
Tell me Thy secrets, help me bear
The strain of toil, the fret of care.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 430


No comments:

Post a Comment