Thursday, June 3, 2021

Building Your House

Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and

Puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.

The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds

Blew and beat against the house.  Yet it did not fall,

Because it had its foundation on the rock.

Matthew 7:24-25

As a small child, one of my favorite songs to sing in my Kindergarten Sabbath School class was The Wise Man Built His House Upon a Rock.  It was so much fun to bring my hands down from above my head to signal the rain, then back up to show the floods.  But the highlight of the song was at the end of the second verse, when we clapped our hands together while shouting, “SPLAT!” as the house on the sand came crashing down.

When I was in 3rd grade, my dad built an addition onto our home.  I learned the value of huge 8x8x16 concrete blocks reinforced with steel rebar that formed the foundation of the new building.  Wanting to help, I tried to hand my father one of the blocks, only to discover that it was way too heavy for me to lift.  Without that heavy foundation, the house would not be fit to live in.   

Our foundation is based on the power and strength of the Word of God.  If we anchor our lives on Jesus Christ, the Rock of our salvation, we will stand firm through the storms of adversity.  If we anchor our lives in the sands of the world, we will be washed away. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment