Monday, June 7, 2021

The Needle's Eye

 

Then Jesus said to His disciples, “ I tell you the truth,

it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel

to go through the eye of a needle,

than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven.”

Matthew 19:23-24 

On July 1, 1981, the newly formed Arizona Lottery sold it’s first ticket – a scratcher called Scratch It Rich.  I was living in the family home at the time, and my financial situation was such that the thought of winning a good chunk of money was very appealing to me.  My mother’s admonitions about lottery tickets, sin and hell, however, kept me from purchasing one, but it did not keep me from dreaming.  I could think of a hundred ways that big money would make my life easier.  And I would not be the only one who benefitted.  Just think of the amount of money the church would receive as tithe on such a haul.

Jesus’ encounter with the Rich Young Ruler gave pause to those thoughts.  The young man who approached Jesus had all the proper religious training and believed that he had kept all ten commandments “from my childhood.”  But when asked to give up his money, he went away “sorrowfully,” unable to turn loose of his prestigious security blanket.

If I had a wad of money that would meet my every need, I would have no need of God’s care and blessings.  I would be able to care for myself.  And in so doing, forfeit the loving relationship with my heavenly Father that is so much a part of my life.

Summer Reading Schedule

Monday, June 7  Matthew 19-21

Tuesday, June 8  Matthew 22-24

Wednesday, June 9  Matthew 25-27

Thursday, June 10  Matthew 28

Friday, June 11  Mark 1-3

Saturday, June 12  Mark 4-6

Sunday, June 13  Mark 7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment