Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Dirty Feet?

Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under His power,

And that He had come from God and was returning to God.

So He got up from the meal, took off His outer clothing,

And wrapped a towel around His waist.  After that,

He poured water into a basin and began to wash His disciples feet,

Drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him.

John 13:3-5 

I grew up in a church that practiced the foot washing service once a month, when we had communion.  It took me many years to understand the meaning behind the service.  I remembered my Sabbath School teacher trying to teach me the significance of what Jesus did that night, but it went in one ear and out the other.  Mostly I wondered:  Are my feet dirty? Are yours?  Do I have to take my stockings off?  Can you please dry between my toes so that I don’t get my shoes wet?  Can I just remain in the sanctuary and forget the foot washing this time?

It is clear from John’s story of the evening foot washing by Jesus that the meaning of what He did sailed straight over the disciples' heads as well.  A servant usually performed the foot washing prior to a banquet meal.  Somehow, for this particular meal, no servant was provided.  Jesus rose, wrapped a towel around His waist, and knelt to wash the feet of His disciples. 

Do you understand what I have done for you?  You call me Teacher and Lord, and rightly so, for that is what I am.  Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you should wash one another’s feet.  I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

Summer Reading for Today:  John 13-15

No comments:

Post a Comment