Monday, June 28, 2021

Lazarus

 

“Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “If you had been here,

my brother would not have died.”

John 11:21 

I started learning to play the organ when I was in 6th grade, and obtained a position as church organist at a local Methodist church when I was in 8th grade.  That same year, I began playing for funeral services at several of the local mortuaries.  Many times I felt like I was almost part of the grieving family, often sitting at the organ that was directly behind the casket. 

One service I remember clearly - over 60 years later.  A young boy had been on an excursion to the Salt River with his Boy Scout troop.  He jumped off the bank into a hidden sink hole in the river and drowned before anyone could reach him.  His entire Scout troop was in attendance at the funeral service, each little boy holding a keepsake that they were to put inside the casket.  There was not a dry eye in the room.  My heart ached for the parents of this young boy – taken away so suddenly.

When Jesus came to Bethany, Lazarus had been buried for four days.  He found Mary and Martha broken with grief that tore at His own heart.  Through tears, Jesus asked to see the place where His friend was entombed.  Mary and Martha’s faith in their Savior had never wavered, but I’m certain they never expected the miracle that would fall from the lips of Jesus:

Lazarus, come forth!

Summer Reading - New Testament

Monday, June 28              John 10-12

Tuesday, June 29              John 13-15

Wednesday, June 30       John 16-18

Thursday, July 1                John 19-21

Friday, July 2                       Acts 1-3

Saturday, July 3                 Acts 4-6

Sunday, July 4                    Acts 7-9

Monday, July 5                  Acts 10-12

No comments:

Post a Comment