Monday, June 1, 2020

Toast and Quiet



Toast and Quiet

Better a dry crust with peace and quiet
than a house full of feasting with strife.
Proverbs 17:1

Even back in ancient times, Solomon recognized the indisputable fact that the human body does not deal well with pressure.  I doubt if he was familiar with the word, “stress,”, but the core of truth was still there:  peace and quiet beats tension and strife hands down!

Too many of us get caught up in the rat race of daily living: 

Gotta work so I can have the cash to pay the bills. 
Gotta hurry because going slow will never get you anywhere.                     
Gotta climb, climb, climb as quickly as I can. 
Gotta make sure I have the best life has to offer. 

Then we go into retirement and we are still running around like the proverbial chickens without a head!  So much to do, so little time.  Solomon is calling for us to stop, look and listen.  What is important in life?  What is more important than our sanity and our health?  If we drive ourselves into the grave, who will have all our things then?  Is the strain of our high-octane society really worth it?  Or, like Solomon, is the better choice peace and tranquility.  

*

I cast all my cares upon You.
I lay all of my burdens down at Your feet.
And anytime that I don’t know what to do,
I will cast all my cares upon You.
The Faith We Sing, No. 2215

No comments:

Post a Comment