Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Pay Attention!

My son, pay attention to my wisdom,

listen well to my words of insight.

Proverbs 5:1

In my musical career, I have taught vocal classes to lots of teenagers.  Every school year, I had at least one student who came in feeling like they owned the world:  they had already conquered the intricacies of singing, they were ‘seasoned’ performers and were headed to Broadway, and our little class was merely a bump in the road that they must endure.  They didn’t know me from Adam and suspected that I knew as much about singing as he might have.

 One such student stands out in my memory.  I handed out this individual's song for the first nine weeks - a song only two pages in length, with two verses, and quite a bit of repetition.  A piece of cake, right?  Well, it should have been.  But this young lady came to class each week with very little preparation of the song.  Suddenly it was time for the dress rehearsal for their recital.  This student came up on stage, did her spoken introduction, launched into the song, and promptly forgot her words.  I had begged, pleaded and cajoled for weeks to try and motivate this child.  Now I made a unilateral decision as the teacher - she would have to sing the recital using her music.  Much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued.  No way was she going to do that.  "Yes way," I said. 

Recital day arrived, and then this student's time to perform.  She came onstage with the music, put it on the music stand, then placed the stand at least two feet from where she would stand to perform. She gave her spoken introduction. I began the piano accompaniment and waited for the meltdown I knew would follow.  The student positively trashed the piece - couldn't remember the words, couldn't remember the music, couldn't remember anything, and fled the stage in tears.  It was a very painful public collapse, and one that was completely unnecessary.

Throughout the book of Proverbs, King Solomon pleads with his listeners to give heed to his words and advice regarding the wisdom and understanding that comes from God.  Solomon knew from hard-knock experience that man's wisdom isn't worth a hill of beans when it comes to the pressures of human life.  The book of Proverbs asks these questions:  Do we already know it all?  Or are we willing to humble ourselves and listen? 

* 

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

When I feel afraid, think I’ve lost my way,

Still You’re there right beside me.

And nothing will I fear as long as you are near.

Please be near me to the end.

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 601



 

No comments:

Post a Comment