Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Thankful for: Rest

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,

and I will give you rest.

 Matthew 11:28

2020:  I am Thankful for Rest

I am not a “stop-and-smell-the-roses” type of person.  I am pretty driven, a perfectionist, and a bit of a workaholic.  Slowing down and taking a “rest” is not something I manage on a regular basis.  I retired in September from my full-time Music Director position of 19 years, and still the hours of the day go flying by me.  My “To Do” list keeps getting longer rather than shorter.  Where does the time go?

Those same character traits cause me to try to shoulder the burdens in my spiritual life as well.  But Jesus is well acquainted with people like me, and He calls out – “Tired? Exhausted?  Come – give Me your burdens and take a rest.”  That is an invitation that we need to readily and regularly accept.  And when you set your burden down at Jesus' feet, try really hard not to pick it up again as you walk away to start your day!

* 

There is a place of quiet rest, near to the heart of God.

A place where sin can not molest, neat to the heart of God.

O Jesus, blest Redeemer, sent from the heart of God,

Hold us who wait before Thee near to the heart of God.

The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 472

 

No comments:

Post a Comment