Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Thankful for: Bible Stories

People look at the outward appearance,

but the Lord looks at the heart.

1st Samuel 16:7

2020:  I am Thankful for Bible Stories

One of my favorite Bible stories, from Matthew 8, is about a soldier - a Roman centurion. This centurion was used to commanding hundreds of men who listened to his instructions and obeyed him.  He was based in Capernaum, an area where Jesus often walked and taught.

One day the centurion’s valued servant became very ill.  This soldier must have observed Jesus when he talked with the crowds and healed their sick, because he knew that Jesus could heal his servant.  When he spoke to Jesus about the man, the Lord said, “Lead the way.  I’ll come to your house.” 

But this man didn't want to disturb Jesus when He was so busy teaching the people.  The centurion said, "Sir - I know that if you just say the word, my servant will be healed."   Jesus thought it was amazing that this Roman commander had so much faith in Him.  He said, "Go home!  Your servant is well."  And sure enough, when the centurion went home, he found that his servant alive and well.

How many times in my life have I asked Jesus to help me with a certain situation, and then, fearing that Jesus would forget, or not get it done in time, or not do it the way I would do it, I go ahead and try to do it myself.  Thank you, Jesus, for your patience and perseverance in the face of my weak faith.

* 

Come, ye thankful people, come, raise the song of harvest home;

All is safely gathered in, ere the winter storms begin.

God our Maker doth provide for our wants to be supplied.

Come to God’s own temple, come; raise the song of harvest home.

The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 694

No comments:

Post a Comment