Monday, November 23, 2020

Thankful for: Gardening

Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden,

And there He put the man He had formed.

And the Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground,

Trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food.

A river watering the garden flowed from Eden.

The Lord God took the man and put him

in the garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.

Genesis 2:8,9,10,15 

2020;  I am Thankful for Gardening

I live in a house that sits on a corner lot, and it has a huge yard.  Ten years ago when I purchased the house, I loved the challenge of planting, watering, trimming and hauling.  Over the years, the burden of caring for it all has become overwhelming, including last year, when I could barely keep the grass cut.

Two things happened this spring/summer/fall to change that.  First, I found two young men, one teenager in the neighborhood and the other the pastor’s son, who were reliable helpers to keep the grass cut and looking sharp.  Then I retired from full-time employment, and my gardening calendar opened up like flowers in springtime.  If I only have an hour to work this morning, I might have some time this afternoon, or definitely tomorrow.   Every Monday morning the big trash can is full and waiting to be emptied.

I am enjoying so much the time outdoors, which helps to break up the monotony of always being inside the house.  And I love the order and beauty of a landscape finally coming under control.

* 

Let all things now living a song of Thanksgiving

to God the Creator triumphantly raise.

Who fashioned and made us, protected and stayed us,

who guides us and leads to the end of our Days.

God’s banners fly o’er us, God’s light goes before us,

a pillar of fire shining forth in the night.

Till shadows have vanished, and darkness is banished,

as forward we travel from light into light.

The Faith We Sing, No. 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment