Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Thankful for: A Washing Machine

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,

the fruit of the womb a reward.

Psalm 127:3

2020:  I am Thankful for a Washing Machine

My washing machine and dryer are getting old and cranky.  The dryer has a setting that no longer works, and the washing machine sometimes sounds like it is breaking down into pieces at the end of the spin cycle.  But so far, they are hanging in there.  Doesn’t sound like much to be thankful for, does it?

My daughter and son-in-law, on the other hand, have neither a washer or a dryer.  So every weekend, they bring their laundry to me.  When they arrive, I use my trusty Lysol spray on the plastic bags of clothing to counter any virus that might be lurking around.  Then while the bags bake in the sun for a bit, my two children and I – masked and socially distanced – have our weekly face-to-face visit.   It is, without a doubt, the highlight of my week.

The worst part of the pandemic for me, without a doubt, is the loss of face-to-face time with my five kids.  I talk with at least one of them almost every day, but it is just not the same.   How I look forward to the weekend when I can “see” that these two are strong and thriving. 

* 

We gather together to ask the Lord’s blessing;

He chastens and hastens His will to make known.

The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing.

Sing praises to His name, He forgets not His own.

The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 131

No comments:

Post a Comment