Saturday, February 27, 2021

Lent - Day 10: Memories

The memory of the righteous will be a blessing...

Proverbs 10:7

It was on Facebook, while perusing my high school alumni photos, that I came across the above photo as I scrolled down the listings. It stopped me in my tracks. I would know this structure anywhere!  This is the old Phoenix Central Seventh-day Adventist Church - the church home of my childhood.  Sitting at the corner of Ninth Street and Garfield, this grand old lady looks better today than she did back when I raced down the hall in the basement to reach my Sabbath School room. 

Central Church was where I sang songs, listened to stories, and placed stick figures of Bible characters in the sand box.  It was where I was baptized, where I learned about Jesus, where I sang my first church solo at 2 1/2 years old, where I joined my first choir, and where I accompanied my first Messiah rehearsal.  So many memories are packed into that small structure. How wonderful it was to run across this picture and be reminded of the very beginning of my walk with the Lord.

I invite you to take a few moments today to think about the first steps of your journey with Jesus.  Was it as a child?  A youth?  An adult?  What are your memories?

Precious memories, how they linger
How they ever flood my soul
In the stillness, of the midnight
Precious sacred scenes unfold

 

No comments:

Post a Comment