Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Lent - Day 7: Come In!

Behold, I stand at the door and knock.

If anyone hears My voice and opens the door,

I will come in and dine with them,and they with Me.

Revelation 3:20 

We have a tradition in our family which dates back to when my kids were in early elementary school. We were always relatively poor during those years, and rarely had money to spend on entertainment or dining out.  But when something special occurred in the life of one of my girls, we would celebrate by pooling our pennies and going out to eat.  It might have been just Taco Bell, but it was a time for family to gather together over a celebratory meal.  That tradition continues today, even though my children are miles away.  They will call with their latest triumph and I will say, “Fantastic!  We need to go out to eat!” 

The Apostle John presents a beautiful picture of Jesus standing at the door of our hearts – our lives – knocking for entrance.  That thought alone is enough to warm my heart, but the text does not stop there.  Jesus has a purpose for knocking.  He wants to join us for a meal - to gather at a common table and eat with us in fellowship, celebration and love. 

Into my heart, into my heart,

come into my heart, Lord Jesus.

Come in today, come in to stay,

Come into my heart, Lord Jesus.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment