Saturday, July 11, 2020

Ears Before Tongue Before Temper


Ears Before Tongue Before Temper 

Post this at all the intersections, dear friends:
Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue,
and let anger straggle along in the rear.
James 1:19 [The Message]

...be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath...
James 1:19 [KJV]

I don’t talk about politics to anyone outside my immediate family.  Actually, I don’t talk politics much with them either.  There is more than enough stress to deal with in this virus-infested world without throwing politics into the mix, with all its fluster, bluster and phony-baloney.  It’s not that I don’t have an opinion.  I’ve just learned to keep my thoughts to myself.

Growing up, I tended to be outspoken if I thought my mother was being unfair.  I could rant and rave with the best of them, but it never accomplished much.  It changed nothing except for my loss of privileges.  It took me far longer than it should have to realize that what came out of my mouth, right or wrong, directly affected my peace and freedom.

I wish I had read these words when I was a kid.   James’ admonition to the young Christian church is a study in wisdom:  Lead with your ears, follow with your tongue, and let anger take up the rear. 

*

I love you, Lord, and I lift my voice
To worship You, O my soul, rejoice!
Take joy, my King, in what you hear,
May it be a sweet, sweet sound in your ear.
The Faith We Sing, No. 2068


No comments:

Post a Comment