Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Learning Wisdom


Learning Wisdom

My son, if you accept my words 
and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
then you will understand what is right 
and just and fair – every good path.
For wisdom will enter your heart,
and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.
Proverbs 2:1,2,9,10

My middle daughter was a bug-lover from a very early age.  Dead or alive, if it was an insect, she had to study it, pick it up, even play with it.  She would always want to share her discoveries with anyone who would listen.  As her sisters were definitely not bug lovers, that role was usually mine.

One summer day when she was around three years old, I heard her calling out, “Mommy, Mommy!  Look what I found!”  She came running into the kitchen where I was washing dishes.  I held out a soapy hand, and she dropped her treasure into it.  It took me a few seconds to realize that I was holding a live scorpion – with stinger attached.    With a startled shriek, I threw my hand up in the air.  The scorpion came down in the sink, where he was quickly washed down the drain.

The next few minutes were spent drying her tears (because I didn’t give her treasure back), and imparting some wisdom to her quick little mind as to why we don’t play with that particular bug. Then we whispered a heartfelt “Thank You” to Jesus for His care and protection.  

*

Lord, I lift Your name on high;
Lord, I love to sing Your praises.
I’m so glad You’re in my life;
I’m so glad You came to save us.
You came from heaven to earth to show the way,
From the earth to the cross, my debt to pay.
From the cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky,
Lord, I lift Your name on high.
The Faith We Sing, No. 2088




No comments:

Post a Comment