Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Kindness


Kindness 

You do well when you complete the Royal Rule of scripture:
"Love others as you love yourself."
Talk and act like a person expecting to be judged by the
Rule that sets us free.  For if you refuse to act kindly,
you can hardly expect to be treated kindly.
Kind mercy wins over harsh judgment every time.
James 2:8, 12

Kindness #1
Leaving a store, I returned to my car only to find that I’d locked my keys and cell phone inside. A teenager riding his bike saw me kick a tire and say a few choice words. “What’s wrong?” he asked. I explained my situation. “But even if I could call my wife,” I said, “she can’t bring me her car key, since this is our only car.” He handed me his cell phone. “Call your wife and tell her I’m coming to get her key.” “That’s seven miles round trip.” “Don’t worry about it.” An hour later, he returned with the key. I offered him some money, but he refused. “Let’s just say I needed the exercise,” he said. Then, like a cowboy in the movies, he rode off into the sunset. - Kentucky

Kindness #2
Last December, before work, I stopped at a deli and ordered a bagel with cream cheese. It was toasty warm, and I couldn’t wait to dig in. But as I left the store, I noticed an older indigent gentleman sitting at the bus stop. Knowing it would probably be his only warm meal of the day, I gave him the bagel. Another customer from the deli offered me half of her bagel. One way or another, we were all looking out for each other.  – Arizona

Kindness #3
Children were playing at the recreation area of an IKEA store when my five-year-old granddaughter motioned for a small boy to stop. She knelt down before him and retied his flopping shoelaces (she had only just learned to tie her own). No words were spoken, but after she finished, both smiled shyly, then turned to race off in different directions. – Louisiana

*

It only takes a spark to get a fire going,
And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing.
That’s how it is with God’s love
Once you’ve experienced it.
You spread His love to everyone,
You want to pass it on.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 572



No comments:

Post a Comment