Monday, July 27, 2020

Listen, My Son


Listen, My Son

Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction
and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
They will be a garland to grace your head
and a chain to adorn your neck.
Proverbs 1:8-9

About four years ago, a young man walking down my street asked if he could mow my lawn.  He was shy, polite, and probably around 12 years old.  I got out the lawnmower and he went to work.  When he was finished, I thanked him, paid him, and sent him on his way home.  Twenty minutes later when I was sure he was out of sight, I grabbed the mower and finished the job.  He showed up two weeks later and cut the grass again – then disappeared off the face of the earth.

The following summer, he showed up once, cut the lawn, and again disappeared.  The same scenario for the following summer.  By then I had learned that he is the child of a broken home and is shuttled around from pillar to post.  It is his grandmother who lives in my neighborhood.  But I must say, whatever combination of family has raised this lad, they have done a wonderful job.  He has grown into a charming young man who is unfailingly respectful, polite and hardworking.

This summer he has a cell phone and texts me to set up days to cut the grass.  Somewhere along the line, he has also learned how to mow a lawn, and takes great pride in his handiwork.  Will he still be in town this next week?  I don’t know, but if he is, the mower and I will be here waiting for him.

*

In my life, Lord, be glorified, be glorified.
In my life, Lord, be glorified today.
In Your world, Lord, be glorified, be glorified.
In Your world, Lord, be glorified today.
The Faith We Sing, No. 2150


No comments:

Post a Comment