Monday, July 13, 2020

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

 

Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is

Do you want to be counted wise, to build a reputation for
wisdom?  Here's what you do:  Live well, live wisely, live
humbly.  It's the way you live, not the way you talk, that counts.
James 3:13 

My father was a quiet man, not given to much speech, especially within the household.  My mother did all the preaching, but my father lived what he believed.  I never had to wonder what my father’s opinion was on almost any subject.  I just watched the way he lived and learned my lessons there.

When my brothers and I were teenagers, and would pontificate on a given subject, Dad would listen, comment, laugh, or disagree – especially when our nonsense was too egregious to let stand.  But at some point in the conversation, Dad would say, “You ready to put your money where your mouth is?”   Are you going to back up your spewing with doing?  Do you believe it enough to live it?

Dad understood what it was to “talk a good game,” but he believed in matching what came out of your mouth with how you lived your life.  The Apostle James believed the same principle.  Your words are not what counts.  Your actions show your true thoughts.

*

Great is the Lord, He is holy and just,
By His power we trust in His love.
Great is the Lord, He is faithful and true,
By His mercy He proves He is love.
Great are You, Lord, and worthy of glory,
Great are You, Lord, and worthy of praise.
Great are You, Lord; I lift up my voice,
I lift up my voice:
Great are You, Lord.  Great are You, Lord.
The Faith We Sing, No. 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment