Saturday, July 4, 2020

O America!


O, America!

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers,
intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone:
for kings and all those in authority,
that we may live peaceful and quiet lives…
1 Timothy 2:1-2

I was born and raised in Arizona, went to college in Michigan and California.  I have lived/worked in Nebraska, Indiana and Virginia, and have visited Oregon, New Mexico, South Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, New York, Maryland, Massachusetts, Washington D.C., Tennessee, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, Illinois, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina.  All across this vast land, from “sea to shining sea,” I have found beauty within diversity.

I have lived and worked in Canada, and visited in Mexico; otherwise, my travels have not taken me from my homeland.  There are lands that I would love to visit - especially Ireland and Scotland, the lands of my ancestry, but there is nothing quite like home.

Sometimes the absurdity of politics makes me wonder whether or not there is a sane politician to be found, or if they will all eventually drive this great country straight into the ground.  But Paul tells Timothy {and me} that our job is to pray for those in leadership positions, including those in government – local, national, and worldwide.  America is my home, my country.  I stand behind her with my allegiance, and with my prayers.

*

O beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties above the fruited plain.
America!  America!
God shed His grace on thee.
And crown thy good with brotherhood,
From sea to shining sea.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 696

+++++++

No comments:

Post a Comment