Thursday, July 2, 2020

I AM the Way


I AM the Way

I am the Way, the Truth and the Life.
No one comes to the Father except through me.
  John 14:6

I was born with absolutely no sense of direction.  As the old joke goes, I must have been behind the door when that skill was handed out.  If I am going to attempt to go somewhere, I always obtain finely-detailed directions.  Of course, there is always the helpful soul who says, “Just follow me.  I’ll take you right there,” then takes off like a shot, leaving me in a cloud of exhaust fumes. My children think it is amazing that I am able to get anywhere.   I’m really not too bad with a map or an excellent set of directions.  Nothing, whoever, compares to having a friend make the trip with me – so that I can relax and drive, while my friend leads me step-by-step in the right direction.

Jesus had this conversation with the disciples on the last night before His crucifixion, during the Passover meal (John 14).  For almost three years, Jesus had tried to prepare His friends for the events that lay ahead for Him, but they still did not understand.  When Jesus asserted that He would soon be going away, He made the statement, “You know the way to the place where I am going.”  Thomas objected, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

Jesus gently told him, “Thomas, I AM the Way.”  Jesus is the Way of salvation.  My part is to believe and follow.

*

I have decided to follow Jesus.
I have decided to follow Jesus.
I have decided to follow Jesus,
No turning back, no turning back.
The Faith We Sing, No. 2129

No comments:

Post a Comment