Friday, July 17, 2020

Weary and Burdened

Weary and Burdened

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me,
And ye shall find rest unto your souls.
Matthew 11:28-29

Saturday night my stomach decided to have one of its meldowns that kept me up all night with no relief until Sunday morning.  I ended up missing work and sleeping most of the day.  Yesterday I had two recording sessions for the upcoming A Time to Sing program, then emails to send and an orientation for the virtual Handbell Seminar this weekend.

Today?  I can barely put one foot in front of the other.  I don’t “feel bad” exactly, but I have the energy and motivation of a slug.  My whirling brain keeps saying, “Get up!  Get going!  Get moving!  Get with the program!”  My body says, “Sorry.  Not today.”

When stress threatens to overwhelm me, I remember this invitation that Jesus extended to the disciples, His followers, and the world.  “Come to Me, ALL who labor and are heavy laden.”  Within His arms of love, we will find peace, relaxation and rest.  All we have to do is turn to Him.

*

Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness,
And all these things shall be added unto you.  Allelu, Allelujah.

Ask and it shall be given unto you; seek and ye shall find;
Knock and the door shall be opened unto you.  Allelu, Allelujah.

Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word
That proceeds from the mouth of the Lord.  Allelu, Alleluia.
The United Methodist Hymnal, No. 405

No comments:

Post a Comment